Hope came the way of a young boy and his mother who were burnt in an accident that occurred in Ibadan, the Oyo State capital, four months ago.
Sen. Adesoji Akanbi, who represents Oyo South senatorial district has settled their medical bills at the University College Hospital, UCH, Ibadan.
David and his mother, Mrs Kemi Balogun had left NNPC area of Apata for Omi-Adio area of the ancient town when the vehicle they were travelling with, a commercial bus, somersaulted and fell into a pit.
While some died on the spot, Mrs Kemi and some other victims were rescued by people. It was some minutes that she realised that her son, David, was nowhere to be found. She was said to have managed to stand and made way for the bus, which has already caught fire. She reached for David, who has been severely burnt. She also got burnt in the process. They were later rushed to UCH, for treatment.
For many days, they could not pay the medical bills as the little they got from good samaritans has been exhausted.
Their prayer was answered when Mrs Atilade Agbaje-Olukokun, a member of the Lions Club, decided to help them. She brought them to the venue of an empowerment programme organised by the lawmaker, in Ibadan.
Touched by the sight of the mother and child, Akanbi immediately swung into action and asked for details.
Speaking with InsideOyo.com, Agbaje-Olukokun said that, “David undergone 7 tests while her mother did 5, before surgical operations were carried out. Apart from burnt, the acid in the battery of the bus fell on David’s leg. In order save his life, the leg had to be amputated. I just pray he gets somebody to buy him artificial leg when it is healed for him not to be using crutches.” she pleaded, thanking the lawmaker for the gesture.