The Oyo state government has advised all public mass transit buses to observe a minimum of one seat interval between passengers, including Ajumose buses to curb spread of COVID-19.
The commissioners for Public Works and Transport, Raphael Afonja, rolled out the directives in a statement issued on Monday.
Afonja said all transport operators and local park managers are expected to maintain proper hygiene and sanitation exercise at their parks and garages regularly. He said this will curb the widespread of coronavirus.
The full statement below:
OYO STATE MINISTRY OF PUBLIC WORKS & TRANSPORT- PRESS STATEMENT
COVID-19: Guidelines on measures for general public transport to curb spread of Corona virus in our various community buses, cabs, motor parks and garages.
To compliment the efforts by the Oyo State Government led Task force on Convid-19 and to further prevent a State- wide spread of COVID-19 especially in motor parks, garages and other public transportation related environment, the Oyo State Ministry of Public Works & Transport hereby notifies the general public through this statement that the following guidelines are henceforth compulsory for all stakeholders in public Transportation in the State and to be strictly adhered to:
1. All Transport Operators and local park managers are expected to maintain proper hygiene and sanitation exercise at their parks and garages regularly and continuously (at least before and after each trip).
2. All Transport Operators and local Park Managers are to provide at the entrance to their respective parks/garages, washing hand equipment with soap and running water.
3. All Transport Operators and local Parks are expected to have alcohol based sanitizers in their Vehicles for the use of Drivers, Conductors and Passengers.
4. All Transport Operators and local Park are not allowed to over crowd/over load their vehicles at this point in time, Passenger’s spacing must be fully observed. NCDC recommends that at least 2m (5feet) distance is required between anyone showing symptoms of respiratory illness.
5. No standing in all Public mass transit buses (e.g Ajumose Buses) and a minimum of one seat interval between passengers should be observed.
6. All buses should be at 60% capacity, that is, not fully loaded (i.e danfo and other commercial buses).
7. All commercial motorcycle and tricycle riders’ must not load above stipulated capacity (1 passenger and 3 passengers respectively).
8. Passengers are required to scrub their hands with soap and water for minimum of 20seconds or use alcohol based sanitizer before and after each trip.
9. All drivers and conductors should always wear hand gloves and nose guides while in transit.
10. All public transport Operators/Company must have temperature reader to test each passenger before boarding the bus.
11. Passengers are also required to regularly wash their hands with soap and running water before and after each trip.
12. All transport operators/company, local park managers and passengers are expected to report any suspected case of COVID-19 to the Ministry of Public Works & Transport on 08180666613 or call Oyo State Ministry of Health Helpines: 08038210122, 08023229267,08073431342.
13. The general public are also expected to report all transport operators/companies, local park managers that fails to comply with these above guidelines to the Monitoring Officer at sight or write to the Ministry, stating the Vehicle Registration Number, Park and Time.
Finally, we are confident that with your assured cooperation as transport stakeholders and a people, we will join forces to put an end to the scourge of the Covid-19.
In Unity, we can further curb the spread of the virus in Oyo State and Nigeria.
I thank you and God bless.
Prof Raphael Afonja
Hon. Commissioner for Public Works & Transport.